Sam Rotberg, director at Alexander Spencer,talks to us about the importance of building a strong team culture between the local and offshore team members, creating a work system that works for both, and what he has learned about outsourcing from TOA Global. Alexander Spencer offers a full range of business services to assist organizations with their accounting, taxation, and financial needs. The practice is based in Camberwell, Victoria, Australia.
- Best practices for communication and collaboration between onshore and offshore team members
- Creating a structure for local and offshore teams
- Key factors to consider for outsourcing decision
- Common misconceptions about outsourcing in the Philippines
- On creating a win-win situation for local and offshore teams: “Our local team understands that they are not being replaced; and that we just needed extra resources who will do the sort of work that they are unable to carry out because they are engaged in another task. So, for them, it’s a good thing because they get to have extra help. We also give them an opportunity to train, supervise, and review the work of our offshore team. And they love it because it gives them an extra bit of responsibility. As for our offshore team, we make sure that they feel that they are part of the practice and of the whole Alexander Spencer family. And we do this through regular communication, alignment, and by treating them as we would our local team.”
- On the things to remember before onboarding an offshore team member:“Don’t expect extra money right away. It will take time before you see the fruits of it. You need to put in the effort, and you need to have a system in place before you get an offshore team member to onboard. You also need to take into consideration the learning curve they need to go through. But after all these, you will see the benefits from a dollar’s point of view.”
- On how TOA Global debunks the commonoutsourcing myths: “Working in different time zones does not impact the quality of work of our offshore team. Internet connection in the Philippines is not a problem. It’s amazing and TOA Global provides a great work environment and workplace facilities for our offshore team members. And from a security and privacy point of view, TOA Global is first class; you don’t have to worry about anyone takingphotographs of numbers.”
Don’t miss out on any episode – SUBSCRIBE NOW!
Connect with Sam Rotberg