Creating Capacity And Improving The 2 Q’s Of Work Through Offshoring
We recently sat down with Craig and his awesome team to talk about their offshoring journey with The Outsourced Accountant—the challenges and how they were able to overcome them as well as the triumphs they’ve had since working with us.
Offshoring is not something to be scared of. It’s something you can embrace. You are able to access skilled people.
There’s also a greater appreciation for what you can inject back to the staff.
What were the motivations to try offshoring?
After getting ill, Craig struggled to get work done. After outsourcing to Vietnam turned unsuccessful, he decided to try offshoring.
By working with The Outsourced Accountant, Craig was able to:
- Get access to a highly professional, quality staff
- Increase capacity
- Obtain excellent support from a Client Experience Manager
- Onboard quickly
- Get efficiency right away
- Standardise their offers both onshore and offshore
- Opportunity to get in different markets
What’s the best thing about the offshore staff?
- Skill level is a lot better than that of a graduate accountant in Australia
- Team is very willing to learn
- Each team member is fully aware of what jobs they need to do
What are the initial challenges and how did the team overcome them?
Naturally, the offshore team initially needed some guidance to fully grasp the scope of their jobs. Craig was able to help them cope up by:
- Visiting the Philippines early on
- Provided face-to-face training
- Managed workflow
- Established communication rhythm
- Set clear expectations—turnaround time, task specifics, etc.
What are the benefits of having an offshore team for his firm?
- They managed to get work completed at the highest standards
- Access to highly professional and quality staff
- Improved workflow, systems and processes
- Provide in-house bookkeeping services
- Standardised offers both in Australia and the Philippines
- Get into different markets
What are the best practices in managing an offshore team?
- Utilise a job manager program
- Manage workflow
- Establish strong communication rhythms
- Constantly provide training
- Always assure the offshore team that they are part of the company
- Bring the team members to the Australian office for training
How do you improve communication with the team?
- Communicate multiple times in a day using Skype and other tools
- Make the team members feel comfortable in raising any question, issue or concern
- Get personal and ask team members how they’re doing
- Check in regularly to see if there are “stucks” so you can immediately provide solutions
Our last 12 months have been the most successful we’ve had as a business.
After more 12 months with The Outsourced Accountant, Craig Allen describes his offshoring journey as a “fantastic ride.” Having met his initial goal of creating capacity, Craig Allen & Associates continues to enjoy the rewards of having a global accounting team.
If your firm is experiencing capacity problems, then follow Craig’s footsteps and book a free 1-on-1 consult with us. Our global team specialists will discuss with you the many benefits of building an offshore team.